We focus on:
- Practising sustainable forest management through internationally accredited, independent, environmental, wood management and fibre certification systems and promoting third party certification.
- Following a lifecycle approach to environmental management.
- Keeping up with environmental best practice through internal ‘clusters’ comprised of experts in various fields.
- Tracking key metrics for energy, carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions, waste, water usage and water discharge quality and using these metrics to manage performance.
- Reducing energy intensity and increasing our use of renewable energy.
- Minimising end of life waste streams through waste beneficiation which mitigates environmental impacts, reduces waste management costs and can generate additional revenue.
- Managing for biodiversity.
- Transparently providing information about the environmental aspects of our fibre sourcing and production processes in our customer-focused technical publications available from dedicated web portals such as Houston it’s Sappi, our Pro Bookshelf, the Sappi eQ website and Sappi etc.